A blog of my own personal encounters in life, knitting, novels, music, and other epically entertaining things...

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Media Blog

Good day, to all of you swimming through the vast recesses of Bloglands.
I've been reading quite a lot lately, and I feel the need to share with you what I liked and disliked about what I've read.
If you're like me, you love to be offered addvice on what books are great, and must reads.
So, I openly offer you my opinions, thoughts, and a few details on each of the books below.


The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester


If you 'dig' Sci-Fi novels, chances are that you've already read this one. This book is classic; one that every single person should read at least once.
It was influened by the popular William Blake poem, and was first entitled, Tiger! Tiger!.









Next by Michael Crichton


The topic of Next, is along the lines of genes, and the process of extracting certain genes in order to create cures for disease.


I like the works of Michael Crichton(Author of Jurrasic Park), from my experience, he writes well written and well researched stories. Next is not his best work; the plot is exaggerated and overall it seems to be written not as a biothriller, but as a complaint against modern science itself.
Still, it's worth reading.

Prey by Michael Crichton

Prey discusses Nanotechnology and the story line is based upon how modern day computer programs are built in mimic of animal behavior. Great story, very interesting.







Atonement by Ian McEwan

No doubt many of you saw the previews for the movie Atonement. I thought that it looked like a good story, so I went out and purchased the book instead of running to the theater.
This book had every opportunity to be great. The overall plot's not bad, but certain aspects of the story tear it apart. As I was reading, I had the distinct feeling that the entire story was rushed, and many parts were left lacking detail. This proved very frustrating; perhaps that was the feeling he expected people to be left with.
After finishing Atonement, I had hopes that perhaps the movie would turn out decent, but sadly, that was not the case. Thus, the book was better than the movie; but not terribly great.

No comments:

Followers


DEPRESSION DIET